Cowboys beat Nicholls 5-1 to win first series in Thibodaux since 2007
Thibodaux, LA (KPLC) — McNeese picked up his first series win at Thibodaux since 2007, beating Nicholls 5-1, in Game 2 Saturday night at Ray E. Didier Field.
Starting pitcher Chance Stone gave the Cowboys 4.0 innings allowing just one run, no walks and three strikeouts. McNeese relievers Burrell Jones, Christian Vega and Cameron Foster have scored zeros in the last six innings, allowing just two hits while striking out five. Christian Vega (2-1), the second of four McNeese pitchers, picked up the win coming into the game in the sixth inning and went 2.1 shutout innings with two strikeouts.
“Chance Stone gave us a very good start. We still played a very good defense, especially Kade Morris. I thought he (Morris) had an amazing day that impacted the game in so many ways, whether it was on offense or on goal, while also playing big league defense at first base, that which is a new position for him,” McNeese head coach Justin Hill said. . “Just another complete victory against a very good team. They made us work hard, but again they played good defense and they got through,” Hill said.
- B1: Kade Hunter kicked out Hunter LeBlanc attempting to steal second to end the inning.
- B2: Chance Stone worked around a starting double, knocking out the next two batters and ending the inning with a flyball down the center.
- T4: Josh Leslie hit a sack-fly down the center to score Kade Hunter. Hunter had reached an E5 and ranked third on Brad Burckel’s single. (McN 1-0)
- T4: Julian Gonzales retired at first base to score Burckel. (McN 2-0)
- B4: Stone fanned Basiel Williams looking to end the inning with two runners.
- T6: Josh Leslie chose the middle to mark Kade Hunter who had been hit by a throw. (McN 3-1)
- T6: Peyton Johnson doubled Julian Gonzales at home, Gonzales reached on the choice of a defender. (McN 4-1)
- B6: With the bases loaded, Christian Vega forced an end-of-inning out to Reid Bourque at shortstop.
- T7: Kade Morris started the inning with a brace, he scored from second off Braden Duhon’s sack-bunt, shoving home by taking advantage of Nicholls’ delay to cover home. (McN 5-1)
- B7: Morris ended the inning by catching an early line drive and proceeded to tag a Colonel caught in a preview.
Copyright 2022 KPLC. All rights reserved.